Review: The Amazing Spider-man: Renew Your Vows (2016) #1

If you’ve read my experimental “How to Fix it” essay or some of my comments throughout Deviantart, then you should know my feelings about One More Day. I still hate the story, though I understand Marvel’s intentions, even if I disagree with them. Either way, Marvel still hasn’t undone the deal with Mephisto and I have zero interest in The Clone Conspiracy. However, when I heard about this series, I was instantly excited. I bought my own digital copy of the first issue and thought I’d give my first comic review with this. 


First, let’s get some things out there. I did not read the first Renew Your Vows series. The main reason being I don’t live near a comic shop. And my digital purchases rely on itunes gift cards, which I don’t get very often. But I know the basics of the story thanks to this youtube video.

Even so, it turns out I don’t really need to. Gerry Conway has confirmed that this series takes place in a different universe where the battle with the Regent ended differently and the Avengers are still alive. I’m personally for this, because I would like to see some interactions with characters like Captain (Not Hydra) America  and other Avengers. 

If you’re still reading this, then thank you for staying long enough for me to get to the point. So, here’s my first online review:




Thought I’d take a note from Linkara and talk about the cover first. It’s all right, showing the Spider-family perched on a web and looking ready for action. Ryan Stegman is the artist and he’s doing good work here. My only issue is with Spidey himself. One leg is behind Mary Ja—Er… Spider-woman and it looks a bit off. I also feel like the webs on Spider-man look like square panels for an armored suit. Other than that, it’s a solid cover. I’ll get to my thoughts on the others’ costumes later. Since I’m taking long enough to get to the story as it is. 

SPOILERS AHEAD:

We open with the old web-head dodging attacks from Scorpion’s tail. Of course, in this fight with one of his most dangerous adversaries, Peter keeps his mind focused on…. trying to remember what he needs to get at the store. Way to keep your head in the game, Pete.

Actually, this fits with the character really well and, after years of doing this kind of stuff, Spider-man’s probably used to fighting villains. We then get our first look at Scorpion and— Holy crap! Someone’s been hitting the steroids big time. Not sure if I’m a fan of this new design. But according to a podcast interview, Ryan Stegman designed him to look like an actual scorpion. He likes making villains ugly that way. In which case, I’d say he succeeded. 

Peter suddenly gets a call from MJ, saying that they have a “code green.” After making sure he heard that right, Spidey suddenly goes all out and yanks Scorpion off the ground with his webs, wrapping him up and hanging him upside down.

Um… Doesn’t Scorpion have claws that can cut through his webs? Not to mention he’s so freaking huge now. How is it he was taken down so easily?


Yeah. That would explain it. 

As the Web-slinger rushes homeward, we now switch over to Oscorp. Looks like they really need to pay their electric bill. None of the lights are on. A strangely young looking Osborn is discussing company matters with his assistant, Ms. January. They talk about something called “Project G.” Oscorp and something that starts with the letter G? What could that possibly mean? (Sarcasm) But More importantly and through some most likely illegal means, Oscorp now owns the rights to Regent’s technology and they’re currently working in reclamation to his compound.

Given this guy is so short, I’m going to go on a limb and say that it’s Normie Osborn, Harry’s son. I haven’t read anything with him aside from some pages in the final volume of Superior Spider-man that I found at a bookstore. But I’m guessing he’ll play a big part in things to come.

So, are we gonna get a Goblin that can siphon superpowers? That’d be pretty cool.


Peter arrives at his family's apartment and asks “how long” there’s been a code green. Mary Jane let’s him know that their daughter, Annie, finished her homework, read to her pet turtle, and has been in bed for an hour. We finally learn what a code green is. It means that it's time for Mom and Dad to have some special alone time.

But before the comic can become less child-friendly, there’s a loud noise and Annie screams from her room. Peter and Mary Jane rush in to see what’s wrong and find their daughter like this.

Resist the urge to make a pun about the situation. Resist the urge to make a pun!

Young Annie was staying up past her bedtime to see if she could make Peter’s web-shooters work better. I kind of like this moment. it show’s she’s inherited Peter’s smarts and interest in tech. Of course, she’s still eight-years old, so the result isn’t surprising. 

Peter uses a special solvent to dissolve the webs while his daughter starts to cry and asks them not to be mad at her. There’s a touching moment where Peter and MJ comfort her so she doesn’t feel so worthless because of her mistakes. There’s a couple of lines that you’ve probably heard from your own parents at some point in your childhood and the scene ends with a slightly less sad Annie asking if her parents aren’t mad at her. 

Nice try, Kiddo.

The next scene is the Parkers going through a typical morning routine and— Wow, that’s a lot of panels. I’m still not that familiar with how comics are typically made. But there’s a total of 18 panels on one page. If this is normal, then okay. But out of the comics I have read, this is pretty strange and it feels crowded. But I can understand if they’re trying to save paper and want to keep the scene in. After all, how can we possibly understand the plot without this vital dialogue.

PETER: How many pancakes you want?

And…

ANNIE: Can I have shoes that light up?

Okay, yeah. It’s not that relevant to the plot. But it’s still important. The reason? Character dynamics. Peter may be a superhero, but we see here that he’s still living a pretty normal life. This is part of what has made Spider-man so popular ever since he was created. The reader is able to relate to him. I’m not married or a parent, but I can remember having similar mornings to this from my childhood. Plus, it’s good to have these slower moments where we get to know the characters and get a reason to care about them.

There’s also a moment where Peter accidentally flips a pancake into the air and Annie uses her spider-agility to catch it in a plate. Peter and MJ get onto her for a moment, saying she’s not supposed to use her powers without permission. I was a bit confused by this, since they’re home and don’t have to keep secrets from each other. But I guess they’re trying to get her into the habit of pretending she’s normal. We’re also introduced to an earpiece that Peter has created so his family can stay in touch at all times. After that, we move on to Peter at work with the jolly one himself.

Yep. Peter is still selling photos of himself to the Daily Bugle. Wasn’t he a college professor before Civil War? Either way, we learn that Jolly Jonah has quit smoking and now uses a candy cane to give a similar feel to a cigar. Also, Gloria Grant is now a single mom. Once again, it feels like we’re establishing the status quo of this series and that’s fine. This is a new universe and it’s supposed to be a jumping on point. But you can only go so long in a superhero comic without some action. So just as Peter gets his check, JJ yells about an incident going on at the Regent Reclamation site. A sinkhole has opened up in the middle of it.

Peter suits up and swings towards the scene and we learn that his method of photographing himself has changed in recent years. Why is this?

PETER: After about a thousand well-focused butt shots, I knew I needed a better way.


So, now Peter has built Buzzbee, a drone that follows him and automatically takes pictures of him based on movement recognition to keep him in focus. This is pretty awesome. It shows Peter is adapting to the challenges in his life and using his smarts effectively. Yeah, it’s still questionable why he’s working at the Bugle. He says that it wouldn’t be “fun” working in a lab (Is that a shot at Dan Slott’s run?) but I’m not so sure I buy that. Well, maybe we can get a better explanation down th— Mother of Godzilla!


It’s a Mega-Freaking T-rex! This comic just got even more awesome! Spidey takes on the dinosaur and tries webbing it up.

SPIDER-MAN: One strand (of web) can hold a truck--
(T-rex snaps the web.)
SPIDER-MAN: --Obviously not a truck.

Next thing we know, the web-head is getting attacked by a bunch of uglies. He gives some funny thoughts about how he’s being sacked by “albino stick men” when his spider-sense starts tingling. Suddenly, someone arrives in a blur, knocking the uglies all over and we get the heroic entrance of Spider-woman!

No, not that one.
Seriously, did you even look at the cover?

There you go!
Gotta say, I wasn’t a fan of Mary Jane’s spider-suit at first, but it’s grown on me. It looks similar to Peter’s but just different enough to have its own feel. Plus, I like the webs on the palm-side of her hand. The mask wouldn’t do much to hide her secret identity in real life and I would prefer it cover more of her face. But it’s otherwise not a bad look.

Spider-man gives some quick exposition of how Mary Jane’s suit was adapted from Regent’s tech so she could tap into his powers. Um… wouldn’t that weaken Peter? Still, Peter says he did this to protect her. But she tells him that they’re a team now and have been for a long time. It’s a nice moment between the two. But just when they’re starting to plan on taking down the mega-freaking T-rex, our villain, the Mole Man, arrives. And he’s got Annie!

Will the Spider-couple be able to rescue their daughter in time? Will Annie be able to save herself? Will the Mole Man ever see the orthodontist about those teeth? We’ll have to wait and see in next month’s issue.

SPOILERS END HERE

Anyway, this was great.

Yeah, the book has a few minor problems and it’s not exactly mind-blowing, but it doesn’t have to be. It does its job by introducing us to the new status quo and the character dynamics. One complaint I’ve heard about the recent Spider-man comics is that they don’t have enough quiet, normal moments for the characters. That doesn’t seem to be a problem here and I’m glad. Part of what makes Spider-man such a great character is his ability to relate to the reader. That’s something you’re not gonna get as much with the current main story, with Peter Parker/the new Tony Stark. 

My feelings for Annie’s spider-suit were negative at first. But, like Mj’s, it’s grown on me. Still, it could use some tweaking. (For starters, turn the pigtails into a ponytail or something.) 

I’ve heard people say that they don’t want Mary Jane to be a superheroine and I see their points. But I really don’t mind this idea. It especially makes sense since MJ would want to look out for her daughter just like Peter. My only problem is how she gets the powers. Though, Gerry Conway has acknowledged in an interview that this is a problem and he would like to do something more permanent down the road. So I look forward to what he has in mind.

There’s a couple of fun shorts after the main story. One show’s a younger Annie spending the day with her dad in a cartoony art style while the other is a flashback to when Mary Jane and Annie are discussing what their spider suits will look like when something happens that I won’t spoil. They’re both fun and a little cute. Though there’s a moment in the first one that’s a bit head-scratching. I like to think the first short is the cartoony version of something that actually happened.

Overall, Renew Your Vows feels like a series that will start out as just good and become much better later on. Will I be picking up the next issue and follow the series? I definitely want to and this book has sparked my interest in reading more comics. I highly recommend this series to anyone who’s interested in checking out comic books. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

How to Fix It: One More Day